C3 Circular City Advisory programmes
Updated on 19.09.2023
The Circular City Centre (C3) can help cities address many of the linear problems they struggle with today, and make their cities more regenerative, resilient, clean, liveable and attractive to both citizens and companies. It is a competence and resource centre within the European Investment Bank, which aims to support EU cities in their circular economy transition.
Relevance for Circular Systemic Solutions
Established with the support of the European Commission through the European Investment Advisory Hub, C3 supports cities by:
- sharing resources and practical information to support city-level circular action;
- providing Circular City Advisory (CCA) programmes to support cities in their circular transition;
- raising awareness about relevant advisory and funding opportunities for circular projects.
The CCA 1 programme can be helpful for cities that are at an early stage of their circular transition and require support with developing a circular city strategy, including the definition of focus areas and actions – including prioritising sectors and value chains for further development of Circular Systemic Solutions.
The CCA 2 programme is for cities that are at a more advanced stage and, among other ambitions, require support with circular project pipeline development and support in project preparation and implementation. It also includes an introduction to the different types of financing and advisory that are applicable and available to support the further development and implementation of the identified projects. This programme can support cities in further defining and detailing their Circular Systemic Solutions and their components.
Lastly, the CCA 3 programme is meant to improve access to financing and successful implementation of circular economy projects, including Circular Systemic Solutions.
Cities can receive free advice and support for circular transition projects or plans through the C3. Public project promoters can receive free advice on how to design and best position their projects to access funding. Private sector promoters working with and for cities can also benefit from such support.
The following topics are envisioned under C3’s CCA programmes:
- CCA 1: First steps ‒ Prepare & Plan: This CCA programme targets cities that are about to start their circular journey and need help in preparing a circular city strategy to chart the course.
- CCA 2: Next steps ‒ Facilitate & Act: This CCA programme targets cities that have made some progress in their circular transition, possibly guided by a circular strategy, roadmap or similar strategic document. The programme focuses on supporting cities in taking the next steps towards circular action on the ground by creating a pipeline of circular projects (as a full scale investment project).
- CCA 3: Final steps ‒ Invest & Implement: This CCA programme focuses on circular projects. It targets cities that not only have a circular city strategy, but also a circular action plan or investment programme, and have a list of circular projects that need financing or advisory to progress to implementation.
More information about C3 CCA programmes can be found here.
Further information on the roll-out of C3 resources and services will become available here.